Today is Clean Your Refrigerator Day. What? No hurrahs? Well, while this holiday doesn’t sound too exciting, you’ll be thrilled how it can help save you money. Here are five money saving tips involving your refrigerator.
Time to Make Room for the Turkey!
Your grocery bill isn’t getting any lower these days especially through the holidays. These five money saving tips involving your refrigerator will help save you money on energy, on your grocery bills and help keep the environment happy.
#1 Save 30% on Your Power Bill by Cleaning the Coils.
It only takes a few minutes and if you do this at least twice a year and at best each time you thoroughly clean your kitchen, you’ll reduce your electric bill by up to thirty percent. The coils located behind your refrigerator accumulate a ton of dust and all sorts of disgusting muck over time. Just use the hose of a vacuum cleaner or a small broom duster to clean them up. Say goodbye to those disgusting coils and hello to savings!
#2 Closed and Not too Close.
The placement, containment and contents of your refrigerator will make a difference in what you pay at the end of each month.
- – Is your refrigerator door airtight? Take a look at the seal when you close the door to ensure that it completely closes. With use, many refrigerators loose that “air tight seal” capacity as a small area may not close completely.
- – Leave approximately 10 – 15 cm between the wall and the back of the refrigerator to help it run more efficiently.
- – Do not place your refrigerator next to heat sources such as a stove or direct sunlight if possible.
- – Do not stuff your refrigerator with too much food. By leaving a little space between articles, allowing cool air flow you will further reduce energy costs.
#3 Get Rid of Yucky UGOs!
Get rid of the dreaded mystery meat and the “fungus among us” for good. Now that you’re cleaning out your refrigerator, you might find a few pieces of unidentifiable growing objects or a U.G.O. Intelligent food storage is vital in saving money on energy and grocery bills as well as keeping it from getting plain out gross. Proper food storage helps extend the life of your groceries and lowers your energy bill.
- – Make sure you cover your food and drinks stored in the refrigerator to keep the compressor from working harder.
- – Label any stored food with expiration dates so that it doesn’t become a UGO.
- – Make sure you allow hot food and drinks to cool down before placing them into the refrigerator.
#4 Fill ‘Er Up!
The tighter you pack your freezer, the less energy it consumes to keep it cold. Now that you are cleaning out the refrigerator, make sure that you don’t just stuff the freezer. Take the time to organize and label it so that you actually know what’s there and take less time letting the cool air out each time you look for anything. Oh, please do throw away anything “mysterious” or “UGOish” to keep from getting sick!
#5 Freeze More Food!
Looking to find ways to fill your freezer while finding more time to yourself and saving money? Unless cousin Ned drops by, you should have a bunch of Thanksgiving leftovers to freeze. A great way to keep your freezer stuffed all year long is to cook up a bunch and freeze it up. Cook a great pot of chili and store away half of it in a freezer bag. Then, a few weeks later, take it out to thaw a few hours before a meal so that you don’t have to cook dinner on a Sunday. Your family will think that you slaved over a hot stove for hours! Love to cook with real broth but never have time to? Cook up a pot of chicken or beef broth and store it away in smaller freezer bags. This way you’ll be able to add a delicious and healthy home made broth to your next recipe.
LAST BUT NOT LEAST…
HOW TO SAVE MORE MONEY ON YOUR POWER BILL
If you really want to cut back on your bills, switch to a more cost efficient electric company. We pride ourselves in providing premium Texas energy services: Affordable residential energy to help you stay cool during those hot summers and warm during the winter. OUR Energy’s Quality Commercial Energy experts provide Texas businesses with lower priced electricity for increased profits. If you are looking for the best energy company in Texas, check out our Cost Efficient Energy Plans Today!